I just had the pleasure of attending the Cuayimoloyas Mushroom Festival located 3200 meters above sea level and an hour away from the city of Oaxaca. The festival included a guided 5 hour foraging walk through the lush Grimms’-fairytale – like forest, a night in a cozy cabin and incredible local food. The festival attracts mostly naturalists, biologists, birders and of course mycologists.
The highlight for me was the cooking class led by Martha Contreras. One of the dishes she showed up was deep fried Boletus’- all done on an anafre of course!
1. In a mortar and pestle smoosh 10 small garlic cloves and a handful of fresh oregano until they form a paste. Add 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper and blend.
2. Slice Boletus’ into 3/4 inch pieces.
3. Add 1/3 cup of water to garlic paste mixture, 3 eggs and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs.
4. Soak pieces of Boletus in mixture for 10 minutes.
5. Fry in 1/4 of very hot oil until browned.
6. Serve with fresh tortillas.